The tire-slaying Mothers® Ford Mustang RTR Spec 3 is on display at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas, and will be auctioned for charity by its co-creators Mothers® Polish and drift champion, Vaughn Gittin Jr., following a year-long national road tour.
The team at Mothers® Polish is excited to collaborate with Gittin on the Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 project. "We discovered a few years back that we share the same driving passion for speed and performance, as Vaughn brought life to our simple wax commercial with his professional drifting skills," says Jim Holloway of Mothers®. Over the past show season, Mothers® campaigned an RTR Mustang on its big rig show circuit, and "we enjoyed displaying it as much as driving it on the Hot Rod Power Tour," exclaimed Holloway. Those experiences spawned discussions which led to this collaboration. "The bonus is we're taking the car to the 2014 Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, with proceeds going to the Barrett-Jackson Cancer Research Fund at TGen. This project takes the excellent foundation that Ford provides in the Mustang to the next level of excitement with Vaughn's standard RTR package. Then Team Mothers® took it again to the highest level with the RTR Spec 3, and it supports a cause that has great meaning to our family as well as the Jackson's."
Based on the Mustang RTR Spec 3 that will be officially launching in January of 2014, the Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 showcases the latest aftermarket technology in chassis and engine development, composites, aerodynamics, paint, and audio, coupled with streetable track-proven performance. The project is a true team effort consisting of some of the best builders and product manufacturers in the business.
Many of the performance and engineering modifications were done at Autosport Dynamics (ASD) in Charlotte, North Carolina. ASD is RTR's partner for performance product engineering, and also maintains and runs Gittin's competitive Formula Drift efforts. Many of the Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3's finishing touches were performed in California by Mothers®, with the help of many longtime partners, including HRE, BASF, Magnaflow, American Racing, Stitchcraft, JRi, Reus Systems, Whiteline, Deshler's and Kelly & Son.
The Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 features RTR's brand-new Tactical Performance Watts-link and four-way adjustable sway bars with Whiteline bushings for maximum performance while providing great ride quality. RTR also supplied the carbon fiber front splitter, roof, front and rear fender blisters. The unique RTR axle-back exhaust system developed in partnership with Magnaflow is coupled with American Racing long tube headers and X-pipe, helping to flow 650 HP, thanks in part to the Ford Racing supercharger.
Having vehicles done in special hues of red is a tradition at Mothers®, and this build is no exception. The BASF R-M Onyx two-stage Candy Carizzma waterborne paint is a custom "Mothers® Red" formulated by Chris Guinn, and sprayed by Deshler's in Orange, California. Graphics were painted by Mitch Kelly of Kelly & Son the Crazy Painters in Bellflower, California. Complementing the paint, special upholstery was mastered by Stitchcraft Custom Interiors of Westminster, California.
HRE Performance Wheels are standard equipment on the Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 with HRE 501s for the street, plus an optional set of HRE's extremely strong and lightweight C101 wheels, for high-grip apex-hugging track duty.
Among the standard features is the Reus Systems audio package featuring a stunning high-power multi-speaker system where the sound is “the closest thing you can come to having an iPod player wired directly to your brain,” says Rick Reus. This is a production system that, in keeping with the performance level of the car, will rival any aftermarket system regardless of cost.
The Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 is featured in the Ford Motor Co. display area (Booth #22200) during the SEMA Show.
Following the show, Holloway will pilot the Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 in the OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational to test its performance capabilities at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, Nevada. The Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 will go on tour with the Mothers® big rig through the entire 2013 show calendar until it goes across the Barrett-Jackson auction block for charity in January, 2014.
Mothers® Mustang RTR Spec 3 Details:
- 2013 Ford Mustang GT
- 5.0L V-8 Engine
- 6-speed Manual Transmission
- Ford Racing Supercharger
- Ford Racing Torsen Differential
- Ford Racing 3.55:1 Ring and Pinion
- RTR Carbon Fiber Driveshaft (by Driveshaft Shop)
- RTR Axle-Back Exhaust (by Magnaflow
- American Racing Headers (1-3/4")
- American Racing X-pipe (3")
- K&N Air Filter
- K&N Billet Oil Filter by Pure Power
- Ford Racing Radiator
- AFCO Heat Exchanger
- Currie Performance Axle Package with Billet Housing Ends
- Exedy Hyper Twin Racing Clutch
- Tuned by Adam Brown of Revolution Automotive
Chassis & Brakes
- JRi Coilovers
- RTR Tactical Performance 4-way Adjustable Sway Bars
- Whiteline Sway Bar Bushings
- RTR Tactical Performance Watts-link Rear Suspension
- Whiteline Watts-link Bushings
- RTR Disc Brakes
- Ford Racing Brake Duct System
Wheels & Tires
- HRE Vintage Series 501 Modular 3-piece Wheels; 19"x10.5" Front, 19"x11.5" Rear
- Falken FK453 Tires; 265/35-19 Front, 305/30-19 Rear
- Optional Track Pack:
- HRE C101; 18"x11.5" Front and Rear
- Falken Azenis RT-615 Tires; 315/30-18 Front and Rear
- RTR 100% Dry Carbon Fiber Roof
- RTR Carbon Fiber Rear Splitter
- RTR Chin Spoiler
- RTR Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
- RTR Carbon Fiber Fender Blisters
- RTR Rear Spoiler
- BASF R-M Onyx HD Two Stage Candy Carizzma Waterborne Paint
- BASF Paint Color Formulations by Chris Guinn
- Painted by Deshler's
- Cerakote Ceramic Coating Graphics by Kelly & Son the Crazy Painters, Bellflower, CA
- RTR Rear Seat Delete Kit
- RTR Rear Cross Brace
- RTR Spec 3 Front Seats by Sparco
- Four-Point Racing Harness
- Upholstery by Stitchcraft Custom Interiors
- Audio by Reus Systems
- RTR Embroidered Floor Mats
- Ford SYNC with Voice Command
- Vaughn Gittin Jr., Mustang RTR and Team Mothers®
- Autosport Dynamics Inc., Charlotte, NC
- Team Mothers®, Huntington Beach, CA