The Answer For High-Performance EV Conversions & Racecar Control Has Arrived
HAWTHORNE CA—AEM EV has released its VCU300 Vehicle Control Unit (PN 30-8100). AEM EV's VCU300 is used in Ford Racing’s CobraJet1400 EV drag concept and in the Huff Motorsports EV Dragster, which was the first EV dragster to eclipse 200MPH in the quarter mile. It is built on OEM hardware and features OEM quality strategies to provide the highest level of reliability, and more importantly, safety for both the programmer and end-user.
The VCU300 can manage four inverter/motor systems, communicate with up to three independent CAN bus networks, and it can be used on direct-drive and indirect-drive EV setups. Launch control, launch torque time, CAN-controlled cooling pump support and performance mode switching is integrated and programmable using AEMcal software. Full documentation for the VCU300 is available on the Instructions page at aemev.com.
Primary functions of the AEM VCU300 include:
- Input characterization including accelerator pedal, brake switch, PRND switches, and other driver/vehicle inputs
- Redundancy and arbitration features for all safety-critical inputs
- Startup and shutdown sequencing of high voltage components, including independent contactor control
- CAN message translation for BMS, inverter(s), PDUs, and other CAN accessories
- Motor torque management dependent on vehicle operating states and other driver-selectable modes
- Closed-loop motor speed regulation for indirect drive transmission applications
- Dynamic torque limits that maximize safety and optimize performance
- Accessory control of cooling pumps, cooling fans, lights and more
- Diagnostics and fault detection including CAN message timeouts, thermal limits, contactor, and inverter enable cross-checks
- A Plug & Pin Kit (PN 30-3709) is available for the VCU200. This kit includes a connector and all of the necessary pins to create a bespoke wiring harness.
INTUITIVE AEMCAL SOFTWARE
AEMcal software for AEM EV Vehicle Control Units (VCU200 and VCU300) simplifies the process of customizing the power delivery strategies and controlling all of the ancillary subsystems of EV motorsports and conversion vehicles. Utilizing a simplified and intuitive graphical interface that combines tables and graphs for implementing strategies for torque delivery, launch control (stationary and dynamic), traction control, regenerative braking, speed limiting, map switching and more, AEMcal software puts an end to the need for stacking multiple controllers to control an EV's propulsion and ancillary systems. AEMcal software is available for download on the Software page at aemev.com.
The Orion BMS2 battery management system CAN data is integrated into the VCU300
The Isabellenhuette IVT Series Smart Shunt can be used for pack current measurement if you don't have a supported BMS system that already has its own current sensor, or it can be used with the VCU300 for inverter pre-charge.
The VCU300 has the ability to control the EMP WP32 water pump through the CAN bus.
We have validated Gigavac contactors and Gigavac and ARCOL pre-charge resistors. Switched control for fans, pumps, lights, etc., can be controlled by the VCU300 using AEM EV’s PDU-8 Power Distribution Unit(s). Eight units can be used for a total of up to 64 channels. The VCU300 currently supports up to four PDU-8 units.
Vehicle power, drive activation (PRND) and map switching can be controlled using AEM EV’s 8-Button CAN Keypad, and display and logging capability for all channels on the CAN network can be performed by AEM CD Carbon Digital Dash Displays.
AEM EV is working hard to expand its supported components list. Check AEMEV.com often for updates to our list of validated EV components.
A Plug & Pin Kit (PN 30-3710) is available for the VCU300. This kit includes a connector and all of the necessary pins to create a bespoke wiring harness.
AEM EV - BE IN CONTROL
AEM EV is the Performance EV Controls brand of AEM Performance Electronics. Our mission is to make electronics products that simplify the EV conversion process. Our EV Vehicle Control Units and supporting electronics are intuitive and simple to use and provide powerful control for EV street-conversion vehicles and motorsports applications.