PASMAG: Why did you choose this vehicle / platform?
Ian Lambert: I always loved the look of it, but I didn't know too much about them because I was a Honda kid. Then a buddy who I looked up to, who had a beautiful Civic, ended up getting one. He wouldn't stop talking about it, so I got a lot more interested in them and what makes them rad. It just so happened that my sister used to work at a Hyundai dealership, so she convinced me to go take a look at one and drive it. Well, it was love at first boost.
What got you into building in the first place?
I've always loved cars, but, as a kid, I never really learned anything about them. I did little things that I thought would be neat. Looking back, I was wrong (laughs). When I was 18, I got a part-time job at a performance shop, which started a very deep love for modifying.
What is your favorite aspect of the build?
The freedom! When I was doing my build, I didn't ask opinions about what would look good or what style I should do; I just took my vision and ran with it. I had an amazing team behind me to make it happen. A lot of the time, people had things to say, but it seems like they would always come around when I was done. I wanted to build something that makes people smile.
What influences or inspiration helped you over the course of your build?
The ‘80s. I love the aesthetics and the crazy out-there attitude with everything. Toss in a little bosozoku and we have a one-of-a-kind Korean coupe, built to bring smiles!
Is there anything personally or about the build that you would like readers to know?
Do what you love. Stay true to yourself and your vision - sometimes it will change, but that's okay. Don't let someone's opinion make you stray from what you love just because it's not their cup of tea. In the long run, you will be much happier with your build. Remember, it's your hard earned money put into it, not theirs.
Vehicle: 2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec
Owner: Ian Lambert
Location: Edmonton, AB
Engine: Hyundai Theta 2.0L turbocharged I-4
Built By: Speedtech Racing Development, Venom Motorsports, Sideshow Customs, Wheel Clinic
Club Affiliation: For Honour
Photographer: Conner Smith (@cjs.06)
- JE forged pistons
- K1 Technologies rods
- ACL Race Series (rod bearings, main bearings)
- ARP Studs
- CPE rotated turbo Manifold
- Garrett GTX2867R Gen2 dual ball bearing V-band turbo
- 845 Motorsport intercooler
- Custom intercooler piping
- JRC Performance intake manifold
- Wheel Clinic powder coating (turbo, intercooler piping, intake manifold)
- Tenebe velocity stack
- DW 750-cc fuel injectors
- Tial external wastegate
- HKS blow-off valve
- Koyorad radiator
- Uniq Performance (fan shroud, fans)
- Haltech ECU
- Speedtech Racing Development (tubbed engine bay, partial wire tuck, battery relocation, custom ECU tune)
- Custom 3-inch o2 pipe
- Uniq Performance 3-inch down-pipe
- Solo Performance 3-inch exhaust system
- Competition Clutch Stage 2 clutch kit
- Megan Racing transmission mount
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- K Sport Kontrol Pro coilovers
- ISR (tension rods (f), lower control arms (f/r), upper traction arms (r), toe control arms (r), upper camber arms)
- Uniq Performance (lower tie bar (f), lower subframe x-brace (f), middle lower subframe x-brace, lower chassis link bars (r), lower tie bar (r), upper tie bar (f))
- Rotiform WRW 3-piece custom wheels - 20x13 -28et (f), 20x11 -25et (r)
- 326 Power lug nuts
- VIS carbon fiber (hood, trunk, rear diffuser)
- RMX carbon fiber fenders
- G4Werkz Legatia V2 carbon fiber front lip
- Remake widebody kit
- 326 Power wing paint by Sideshow Customs
- Custom (headlights, fog lights, taillights)
- Diode Dynamics RGB (headlight halo, headlight DRL, fog lights)
- Avery Dennison Diamond Purple wrap
- Wrap installation & custom accents by Derek Harvey
- Tint Factory PPF’d front end
- Illest x Momo steering wheel
- NRG quick release
- Uniq Performance short shifter
- Torque solution shifter bushings
- Bride racing seats
- Custom (headliner, wrapped dash)
- Triple-gauge gauge pod (carbon fibre pillar pod, dash pod)
- Likewise (Big Papa shift extender, Neil Diamond shift knob)
- Pioneer NEX-4200 double-DIN multimedia receiver
- Helix SPL 3000 (12-inch subwoofer, mono-channel amplifier)
- Custom subwoofer enclosure
- Speedtech Racing Development
- Venom Motorsports
- The Wheel Clinic
- The Tint Factory
- Divine Shine
- Happy Endings
- Uniq Performance
- Wingnut Garage